Rochester Uber and Lyft Rideshare Accident Lawyers
Ridesharing services, including Uber and Lyft, are a growing presence in cities across the country. Taxis were once the only choice for hailing a ride, but these companies have quickly risen to prominence. In 2020, for instance, Uber had over 93 million active users every month.
With more rideshares on the roads in Rochester, accidents are bound to occur. If you’ve been injured taking a rideshare in Rochester, the team at William Mattar can help. Our car accident attorneys represent victims who have been injured in Ubers, Lyfts, and other rideshares. Don’t wait to call and miss out on your claim—call today at (844) 444-4444.
Causes of Rochester Uber and Lyft Accidents
Rideshare accidents are, in a sense, very similar to any motor vehicle accident. When you get in a rideshare, you put your safety and wellbeing into the hands of a stranger, a rideshare driver.
Just like any driver, a negligent rideshare driver can cause a serious accident. Negligent drivers may speed, text on their phone, fiddle with navigation, or drive aggressively. Likewise, other motorists on the road may be reckless, distracted, or even under the influence, resulting in a serious collision. These factors can be exasperated in cities like Rochester, where there is sometimes significant traffic congestion.
Often rideshare drivers are required to stop and pick-up passengers in new locations. Also, rideshare drivers, just like any other driver, can sometimes fail to yield the right of way or follow traffic laws. For these reasons, it is also possible that pedestrians can be struck by a rideshare vehicle and suffer serious injuries.
Rochester Rideshare Accident Injuries
Like any car accident, accidents involving rideshares can result in severe and fatal injuries to vehicle occupants. These injuries can significantly affect the victim’s life for years to come. Victims of Rochester rideshare crashes can suffer:
- Head trauma: Those injured in rideshare accidents can suffer serious head injuries, such as traumatic brain injuries (TBIs). A TBI can be caused by a jolt to the head and can damage memory, movement, sensation, or emotional functioning. Motor vehicle accidents are the second leading cause of TBI-related hospitalizations.
- Whiplash: A neck injury known as whiplash is common in motor vehicle crashes, especially rear-end collisions. Whiplash can occur when the neck is wrenched forward and back again in a forceful motion. Symptoms can include but are not limited to neck pain and stiffness, loss of range of motion in the neck, and headaches.
- Broken bones: Injury victims of rideshare accidents can sustain bone fractures that range in severity. Several types of fractures necessitate different levels of treatment. Severely broken bones, such as broken legs and arms, can require a lengthy recovery period.
- Lacerations: Lacerations, or cuts, are deep wounds to the skin or flesh. These cuts are often caused by blunt trauma and can result in permanent scarring.
If you’ve been injured in a rideshare accident, one of our experienced accident attorneys is available 24/7 to hear your case.
Insurance Coverage for a Rochester Rideshare Accident
Rideshare companies have insurance for drivers. This is true for Uber, one of the most well-known ridesharing services. According to its website, Uber’s policy is based on the driver’s status at the time the accident occurred. In the event of a rideshare crash, insurance coverage for Uber drivers in New York is as follows:
- Offline: If not logged onto the Uber app, drivers must rely on their personal auto insurance.
- Online (not on trip): An Uber driver who is online but not on a trip likely does not have passengers. If an accident occurs, the driver will be covered up to a certain amount of auto liability insurance ($75k for bodily injury per person and $150K for bodily injury per accident), personal injury protection ($50k per person), and uninsured motorist coverage ($25k for bodily injury per person; $50k for bodily injury per accident, etc.).
- On trip: An Uber driver on a trip will be covered up to a certain amount of auto liability insurance ($1.25 million for all bodily injury and property damage per accident), personal injury protection ($50k per injured person), SUM uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage ($1.25 million per injured person), and contingent collision and comprehensive insurance.
If you were a rideshare passenger when an accident occurred, you will very likely be covered to some extent by the company’s insurance coverage. Contact William Mattar law offices today to learn how we can help you file a claim and achieve maximum compensation.
Contact a Rochester Uber and Lyft Accident Lawyer Today
Don’t suffer the consequences of an accident injury alone. Let one of the rideshare accident lawyers at William Mattar stand by your side. We will advocate for you to get the compensation you need and protect your best interests. Schedule an initial case consultation today using our free online form. Or call our offices at (844) 444-4444 to speak to a member of our team.