Syracuse Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
Riding a motorcycle is an exhilarating way to get around the busy streets of Syracuse or to travel the open roads in the surrounding region. It offers a certain freedom and challenge that other vehicles may not. If you are a devoted biker, you know how exciting and rewarding motorcycle riding can be.
Despite their understandable appeal, motorcycles can be particularly dangerous to ride. Those who travel on motorcycles are more physically vulnerable to dangers on the road than other types of vehicles. In fact, studies show that motorcycle riders are 28 times as likely to die in a motor vehicle accident than passengers of cars.
As a result of this amplified danger, when a motorcyclist is involved in a Syracuse motorcycle accident, his or her injuries may be very severe. If you’ve been injured due to a negligent driver, William Mattar law offices is here to help. Our experienced Syracuse motorcycle accident attorneys will fight to get you the compensation you need for financial recovery. Call (844) 444-4444 today to schedule a free consultation.
Common Causes of a Syracuse Motorcycle Accident
Motorcycle accidents can occur for a variety of reasons. Whenever a driver on the road is distracted or reckless, his or her chance of being involved in a motorcycle crash increases. Although there are some straightforward ways to reduce your risk, conditions that may contribute to a motorcycle collision can be complex.
The following list highlights common reasons for Syracuse motorcycle collisions.
- There are hazardous road conditions. Bikers can be at risk when there are dangerous conditions on roadways. These may include debris, potholes, poorly maintained pavement, or bad weather that decreases visibility.
- A driver is distracted while traveling on the road. Inattentive driving can increase your chance of being involved in a motorcycle collision. Distracted driving may involve using a cell phone, drifting off due to fatigue, or missing important traffic signs and signals.
- The motorist is speeding, resulting in a loss of control. Speeding on a motorcycle can be especially dangerous. Motorbikes only have two wheels and tend to be lighter than other types of vehicles. This means riding at a high rate of speed, and making a sudden shift in direction, can cause your motorcycle to quickly spin out of control.
- A motorcyclist—or another driver—got behind the wheel while intoxicated. Driving under the influence puts you and everyone on the road in danger.
- A motorist does not check their blind spot. Often times, motorcycles are less visible than other vehicles because of their size. A motorcycle crash can occur if the driver of a car does not check their blind spot and makes a lane change or other maneuver in traffic.
- The motorcyclist tries to split between lanes. Lane-splitting, also known as white-lining, is when a motorcyclist cuts abruptly between vehicles in traffic. This commonly occurs on highways and multiple-lane roads and can be incredibly dangerous.
The Effects of a Serious Motorcycle Injury
The long-term effects that result from a motorcycle accident injury can last weeks, months, or even years. They can take a mental and physical toll, interrupting your daily life.
Some challenges after sustaining a motorcycle injury may include chronic pain or permanent loss of motion or function, loss of income due missing work, and financial strain as a result of overwhelming medical expenses or damages. You may also experience mental or emotional distress in the aftermath of a motorcycle accident. This, along with a diminished quality of life, sometimes occur when a victim has suffered debilitating injuries.
It is normal to be anxious or stressed after being seriously injured in a motorcycle crash. If you are in this difficult position, a personal injury lawyer can help you understand and navigate the obstacles to come. Our motorcycle accident attorneys will analyze the circumstances of your case and determine what types of compensation deserve. Compensation can help you recover some financial stability in your life, making you “whole” again. You do not have to endure the effects of a motorcycle injury alone.
What happens if the person who caused my motorcycle accident does not have insurance?
Commonly, when a motorcyclist is injured by a negligent driver, that driver’s insurance carrier is responsible for paying damages. But what happens if the at-fault driver does not have insurance at all?
The first thing to note is that there are minimum liability insurance coverage requirements in the state of New York. Motorcycle riders are legally required to have the following coverage:
- $25,000 in bodily injury coverage;
- $50,000 in total bodily injury coverage for accidents where more than one person is injured;
- $50,000 in death coverage;
- $100,000 in death coverage for accidents where there are multiple fatalities; and
- $10,000 in property damage coverage.
In some cases, even if the at-fault driver has the state minimum coverage, it may not be enough to fully cover your damages and medical bills. If you are in this scenario, you may still have a way to obtain compensation following a motorcycle accident.
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist (UM/UIM) coverage is provided by your own motorcycle insurance company and protects you in the event that you are injured by a motorist without the minimum insurance coverage. Our motorcycle accident attorneys can investigate your case and review your available insurance coverage to help determine your rights to pursue an UM claim.
How long do I have to file a claim after a Syracuse Motorcycle Crash?
If you want to file a claim after a Syracuse motorcycle accident, you will need to know the applicable “statute of limitations.” A statute of limitation will tell you how long you have to file your claim. It is important that you do not unintentionally miss a deadline if you want to receive compensation.
The statute of limitation for filing an insurance claim is unique for every case. Luckily, a motorcycle accident attorney will have the in-depth knowledge of all required deadlines to ensure that you are on the right track.
Contact Our Experienced Syracuse Motorcycle Accident Lawyers
If you have been injured in a Syracuse motorcycle accident and are looking for the best motorcycle accident attorney for your case, consider contacting William Mattar law offices. At William Mattar, we offer our No Fee Guarantee, a promise that you will not owe us attorney’s fees unless we win or settle your case. Give us a call today to schedule a free consultation at (844) 444-4444.