New York City Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
If you are struck by a car while walking lawfully on sidewalks, roadways, crosswalks or parking lots of New York City, you may be able to obtain compensation for physical injuries that require emergency or other medical treatment. At your request, William Mattar can provide you with a pedestrian accident lawyer who knows the laws regarding pedestrian rights and how to handle insurance companies that do not want to pay fair compensation for injuries.
Pedestrians struck by vehicles through no fault of their own should never accept “lowball” settlements from insurance companies. They may tell you the settlement offer is the “best you will get” but that’s typically not the case. Contact us as soon as possible by calling (844) 444-4444 if you or someone you know has sustained broken bones, head trauma or other serious injuries due to a reckless driver. Our firm is available to take all calls 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Pedestrian Traffic Laws in NYC
According to the Governor’s Safety Committee of NYC, pedestrians:
- Must comply with traffic signals, pavement markings and signs when crossing streets
- Are not permitted to walk on New York interstates or expressways
- Have the right of way over vehicle drivers when no traffic signals exist, especially when pedestrians are in crosswalks
- Have the right of way at all times at crosswalks and intersections if the pedestrian is using a cane or guide dog
- Must yield to vehicles on roadways without signals, signs or crosswalks established at mid-block areas
- Have the right of way when vehicles are exiting or entering alleys, driveways, private roads or buildings
- Are mandated to use sidewalks if they are safe to use. When no sidewalks are available, pedestrians must walk on a street’s left side so they are facing traffic
What Causes Most Pedestrian-Vehicle Accidents in NYC?
Alcohol involvement–for the driver and/or the pedestrian–was reported in nearly 50 percent of traffic accidents causing pedestrian fatalities in 2014. Additionally, pedestrians killed as a consequence of being hit by a vehicle are usually struck by the front of the vehicle instead of the left/ride side or rear. Eighteen-percent of pedestrian-vehicle collision fatalities in 2014 involved single or multi-vehicle accidents where the driver left the scene (hit and run). Other reasons cars hit pedestrians include failure of drivers to obey traffic lights/signs, speeding and distracted driving.
Innocent pedestrians hit and injured by vehicles deserve compensation for their damages. Call William Mattar today at (844) 444-4444 to schedule a free initial consultation with a lawyer who is on your side and dedicated to upholding your rights as a NYC pedestrian. If you are looking for a New York City pedestrian accident lawyer, William Mattar can help.
What Can a Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Do For You in NYC
Our attorneys have experience gathering evidence, learning details of the, talking to doctors, and dealing with insurance companies. We can evaluate your case if you choose us to retain us, estimate the “value” of your claim, and advocate for you throughout the entire the process. We also communicate with our clients, being available 24/7 to take calls and answer questions.
Time constraints limit how long you have to file a claim if you were struck and seriously injured by a vehicle. If you are currently at home or in the hospital in New York City, a pedestrian accident lawyer from William Mattar can visit you to discuss your case. Please call (844) 444-4444 today to begin the process of obtaining a fair compensation package to help pay for your damages.