New York City Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
On the bustling streets of New York City, motorcyclists and passengers are confronted with traffic hazards every day. Busy and distracted drivers are everywhere, and often unaware of the motorcycle riders traveling lawfully by their side. A motorcyclist can end up in a serious motorcycle crash for many potential reasons. Maybe they were sideswiped by a speeding motorist, or were tripped by debris on a narrow road. Whatever the circumstances— the results can be devastating.
Some NYC motorcyclists, who are struck by vehicles and sustain serious injuries, choose to handle their case alone, believing that they can save money on attorney’s fees. Failing to consult a motorcycle accident lawyer as soon as possible after a motorcycle crash may complicate and delay your case. Individuals without legal experience may not realize how much paperwork is involved in managing a personal injury case. Not to the mention, there is also the stress of recovering from injuries, missing work, and finances.
If you were on a motorcycle, and were hit by a negligent driver in New York City, don’t wait to schedule your free consultation with William Mattar law offices. We have been helping motorcyclists obtain fair compensation in personal injury cases for over 30 years. Get in touch with our legal team today by calling (844) 444-4444.
What does a NYC Motorcycle Accident Attorney do?
New York City motorcycle accident lawyers take on many duties for a personal injury case. They must have the applicable knowledge of subjects such as court-mandated guidelines and the required documentation. In addition, your accident attorney will help collect the evidence necessary to build your legal case.
For your case, a NYC motorcycle crash injury attorney will:
- Collect evidence essential to support your claim;
- Talk to witnesses (if any), and take affidavits and statements;
- Communicate with the defendant’s insurance company and attorneys;
- File a lawsuit when insurance companies refuse to agree to an adequate compensation payment;
- Respond to motions or requests for relief from the court brought by defendant’s attorneys; and
- Draft legal briefs for review by the court.
Waiting to contact an accident attorney may delay your ability to obtain compensation for your injuries. Let us do the work while you recover.
Types of NYC Motorcycle Accident Cases
At William Mattar, we handle a variety of motorcycle-related accident cases in New York City. Motorcycle crashes often occur when a driver, who is reckless or inattentive, strikes a motorcyclist. In these cases, the at-fault driver’s negligence may be the cause of the motorcycle accident and any resulting injuries.
Some NYC motorcycle accident cases involve aggressive driving, such as road rage, speeding, tailgating, distracted driving, and drunk driving. Other motorcycle accidents may involve poorly maintained or hazardous roads, defective motorbike parts, and inaccurate or poorly marked streets.
Your motorcycle injury attorney will look analyze the details of your case to help determine the best possible outcome.
Why are New York City Motorcycle Riders Prone to Injury?
Motorcyclists are less protected from harm than drivers of other types of vehicles. What may not affect the motorist of a truck could be catastrophic for a motorcycle rider. As a result, motorcyclists often suffer severe injuries in motor vehicle accidents, such as traumatic brain injuries. These injuries can require a long recovery, or even become a life-long disability.
There are a few reasons why NYC bikers are at an increased risk of injury:
- Congested NYC streets: NYC is a dense, urban area where residents live, and drive, in close proximity to each other. Traffic congestion and hazards, such as potholes, can pose a serious risk to vulnerable bikers.
- Two wheels: The majority of motorcycles have two wheels, rather than three or four, which can contribute to instability. According to traffic data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, two-wheeled motorbikes account for 91 percent of motorcycles involved in fatal collisions.
- Physically exposed to the environment: Unlike automobiles, motorcycles do not have a protective metal frame, or the safety features that accompany an automobile’s frame. This leaves bikers unshielded from the road and any potential dangers.
- Less visible: Bikers are often less visible to other motorists while riding on NYC roads because motorcycles are smaller than other types of motor vehicles. As a result, motorcycle crashes often occur when a motorist does not see a biker in his or her blind spot, and makes a mistaken turn or lane change.
Motorcycle crash victims have seen firsthand how motorcyclists can be at a safety disadvantage on the road. It is important that you have a knowledgeable personal injury lawyer on your side to fight for your recovery in the event of a motorcycle collision.
Medical Treatment after a NYC Motorcycle Accident Injury
If you have been seriously injured in a NYC motorcycle crash, you may have a long road of recovery ahead. You may be wondering about the types of treatment accident victims may need, and how much it will cost. Both of these factors will depend on the severity of your injuries and the amount of time you will need for recovery.
Medical treatment for a motorcycle injury may include:
- Short-term treatment: Minor injuries, such as broken bones and cuts, may only require short-term medical treatment that will likely not required an extended hospital stay. This level of treatment can result in medical expenses and lost wages as a result of being unable to work for a period of time.
- Long-term treatment: Serious injuries, such as fractures and internal damage, may require a longer hospital stay and extensive medical care. The cost of recovery for a serious injury can add up quickly, leaving an injured motorcyclist with mounting medical bills and a lack of income.
- Physical rehabilitation: After serious—or even minor—injuries, motorcycle accident victims may require some form of physical therapy to fully recover. Physical therapy is often a recurring cost that can stretch over weeks or even months, depending on the nature of your injury.
- Life-long care: Motorcycle accidents can cause permanent conditions and disabilities. These injuries may require life-long treatment, and a complete change in one’s lifestyle as a result of physical limitations.
The reality of suffering a serious motorcycle injury, especially a life-long injury, can be difficult to comprehend. Medical expenses may not be the only overwhelming factor for motorcycle accident victims as they may also experience acute pain and suffering, including emotional anguish, following their motorcycle crash. An experienced accident attorney can help determine the anticipated costs of your medical treatment, and fight to get you the compensation you need.
Contact an Experienced NYC Motorcycle Accident Attorney
If you are looking for one of the best New York City motorcycle accident attorneys to handle your case, consider contacting William Mattar law offices. At our firm, we fight for motorcyclists’ rights and do everything we can to get maximum compensation for our clients. Let us begin evaluating your case—schedule an appointment with a motorcycle accident lawyer today. Call (844) 444-4444, or fill out our online form for your free consultation.