Amanda Hansen Foundation Educates Public on Dangers of Carbon Monoxide

by mhoffman | January 25th, 2013

Jan. 25, 2013

On a cold January night in western New York, Amanda Hansen was expected to attend a friend’s sleepover, but instead she lost her life. A faulty furnace in the home had exposed the girl to dangerously high levels of carbon monoxide (CO). By the time paramedics could reach her, she was unconscious. She was rushed to a local hospital, but died shortly after arriving.

In the wake of this tragic loss, Amanda’s parents set up a foundation with the goal of educating the public about the dangers of CO and what can be done to prevent accidents involving carbon monoxide poisoning.

During an interview posted on YouTube, the couple discussed how the organization had been successful in distributing CO detectors to families in need of the technology across the western New York area. They also explained that families should be aware of the symptoms of CO poisoning once they have a detector installed in their home. Some of the major signs of CO poisoning include:

  • Dizziness
  • Nausea
  • Sleepiness
  • Delirium
  • Hallucinations

At William Mattar Law Offices, our Buffalo Auto Accident Lawyers recognize that car accidents are not the only dangers the citizens of Western New York face. That is why we support organizations like the Amanda Hansen Foundation, and our Family Plan allows our legal staff to help you find the legal help you deserve.