Bus Driver Indicted in New York Bus Crash That Killed 15

by emallernee | September 5th, 2011

September 5, 2011

The 40-year-old bus driver who allegedly caused the Bronx, New York, bus crash in March that killed 15 people and injured 15 others was indicted last week on 15 counts of manslaughter and 15 counts of criminally negligent homicide. He surrendered to New York State police on Thursday, September 1, and was promptly arraigned by State Supreme Court Justice George Villegas. His bail has been set at $250,000.

The accident occurred March 12 when the driver was traveling on Interstate 95 at the Hutchinson River Parkway in the Bronx. Driving on behalf of World Wide Tours, the driver was carrying 32 people when the bus overturned and slid 300 feet on its side before hitting a pole that nearly sliced the bus in half and tore off its roof.

Some of the surviving 17 passengers have said that the driver was speeding and had swerved several times prior to the crash. The driver had maintained that he lost control of the bus only after a semi-truck rear-ended him.

“This tragedy is compounded by the fact that we believe that it was completely avoidable,” said Bronx District Attorney Robert T. Johnson. “As the charges indicate, this defendant stands accused of recklessly causing multiple deaths and injuries to his passengers in that he recognized the risk that his conduct posed to their safety and well being of others, and yet chose to ignore that risk.”

Read more.

If you or someone you know were the victim of a New York auto accident, the New York accident lawyers at the Law Offices of William Mattar may be able to help you.