Albany Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
The Capital Region offers some of the most beautiful sights in all of New York. When you live in the Albany-Schenectady area, you are always a short drive from the foothills of the beautiful Adirondack Mountains, yet at the same time just an hour from the picturesque mid-Hudson Valley region. Whether you want to take a day trip up to Lake Placid, or a weekend trip to the Catskill Mountains, all of these things are a relatively short ride away—be it in a car, truck, or bus. Many may say that one of the best ways to explore this region is on a motorcycle.
The experience of riding a motorcycle comes with greater risks. Motorcyclists are more exposed to the road and all of the hazards that go along with it. Some motorists drive above the speed limit, others are distracted by their phones, and many follow too closely.
If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident, you may be feeling stressed and overwhelmed with what to do next. With the help of William Mattar law offices, you don’t have to suffer alone. If you need the assistance of an experience motorcycle accident attorney, schedule a free consultation with us today.
Why are motorcycle riders so at risk of injury?
Compared to vehicles such as cars and trucks, motorcycles offer less protection from potential dangers on the road. Without the frame of an automobile, along with their various safety features, motorcycle riders are unprotected from the environment. When things go wrong for a motorcyclist, the consequences can be a lot more severe than that of a car-riding counterpart. Injuries can include traumatic brain injuries, spinal cord and neck injuries, and even death.
There are a few features of motorcycles that increase the risk of injury. These include:
- Absence of a protective frame: One feature of a motorcycle that leaves bikers prone to injury is that it does not offer the protection of a metal shell. This leaves them vulnerable to direct impact between their body and the ground, obstacles such as guardrails, and other vehicles.
- Two wheels (instead of four): The two-wheel characteristic of motorcycles creates an instability that can contribute to a motorcycle accident. This design makes it more likely that an unexpected change or obstacle can destabilize a motorcycle rider and cause the motorbike to tip, skid, or swerve.
- Size and weight: Motorcycles are lighter and smaller when compared to other vehicles. Because of this, motorcycle riders may be more affected by an accident with another automobile. This is especially true when a motorcycle collides with a larger vehicle, such as a heavy commercial truck.
- Less visible on roadways: A biker may be more susceptible to a motorcycle accident, and any subsequent injuries, because they are less visible when traveling on the road.
Motorcycle Crash Statistics
As we know, motorcyclists are at a higher risk of serious injury. With that in mind, how exactly common are motorcycle accidents? And what statistics should you know about motorcycle crashes in the United States?
- According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), over 4,985 motorcyclists died in fatal motorcycle accidents in 2018. While the number of deaths in motorcycle crashes fluctuate each year, motorcyclists are still over-represented among traffic fatalities when compared to drivers of other vehicles.
- The NHTSA also reported that nearly 30 percent of motorcycle riders involved in fatal accidents were driving without a valid license. In New York, you must carry a Class M or MJ Operator’s License or Learner’s Permit to legally operate a motorcycle.
- According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), helmets reduce the risk of death from a motorcycle crash by 37 percent. Make sure you wear a U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) approved helmet to decrease the chance of sustaining a serious brain injury.
Types of Compensation in Albany Motorcycle Accidents
If you’ve suffered serious injuries or damages in an Albany motorcycle accident, you may be able to seek compensation with the assistance of a personal injury lawyer. There are multiple types of compensation that could apply to your specific case. The accident attorneys at William Mattar can speak with you about your legal rights and options.
Depending on the facts of your motorcycle accident case, you may be eligible for one or more of the following forms of compensation:
- Pain and suffering: Compensation for “pain and suffering” serves to offset the long-term physical and mental effects of a serious injury. For instance, you may be suffering from emotional anguish as a result of a motorcycle accident and are unable to go about your everyday life.
- Lost income: Compensation for loss of income or lost wages will help you recover if you have been unable to work as a result of a motorcycle accident injury.
- Medical costs: If you received treatment for your injuries, you may be able to receive compensation for any resulting medical bills. These expenses can include hospital fees, medications, and even future medical care.
- Property damages: If your motorbike or personal property was damaged in a motorcycle accident, and the other motorist is at fault, you may be able to receive compensation to replace your property.
The amount of money you receive as part of your financial recovery will depend on the nature of your motorcycle accident and the responsible parties involved. Our personal injury attorneys will fight on your behalf for the maximum compensation possible.
How much does it cost to hire an Albany Motorcycle Accident Attorney?
The effects of a motorcycle crash can be debilitating. They can impair your quality of life or stop you from doing the things that you love. Injuries as a result of a motorcycle accident may be long-term or even permanent. That’s why, at William Mattar, we believe that concerns about the cost of legal representation should not make you think twice about getting help.
To ease the burden of hiring a personal injury attorney, William Mattar offers our No Fee Until We WinSM. This is a promise that you won’t owe use any attorney’s fees unless we win or settle your motorcycle accident case. The initial case consultation will not cost you anything. Call (844) 444-4444 request a free consultation today.
Contact Our Experienced Albany Motorcycle Accident Lawyers
If you were seriously injured in an Albany motorcycle accident, we are here to help. The attorneys at William Mattar Law Offices have extensive experiencing helping injured motorcyclists by reviewing their cases, identifying all liable parties, and working hard to help file claims. Our attorneys are standing by 24/7.