Car Accident Attorney
Attorney Matt Kaiser was born in Brooklyn, New York and spent his formative years in the Catskill Mountains of the mid-Hudson Valley region before attending the University at Buffalo, where he earned a Bachelor of the Arts degree in History. Upon graduation, Matt enrolled at the University at Buffalo School of Law, where he was chosen to serve as a legal research and writing fellow, and research assistant for two law professors. He also interned for two federal magistrate judges in the Western District of New York. Matt earned his Juris Doctor in 2013, graduating magna cum laude. He then passed the bar and was admitted to practice law in New York. He is admitted to appear in the Western District of New York and Second Circuit Court of Appeals.
Matt handles the majority of the research and writing at the firm, concentrating on dispositive motion practice and appeals, and supporting the trial lawyers before, during, and after trial. He has successfully defended or prosecuted well over a hundred dispositive motions in state and federal courts across Upstate New York. He has also successfully briefed/argued dozens of appeals.
Matt’s articles have appeared in the pages of the New York Law Journal and Bar Journal of the New York State Bar Association. He has presented Continuing Legal Education programs for the New York State Bar Association, Erie Institute of Law of the Bar Association of Erie County, and National Business Institute on topics including animal liability, motor vehicle liability, electronic discovery, and legal writing. He is a member of the New York State Bar Association (NYSBA), New York State Trial Lawyers Association (NYSTLA), and Monroe County Bar Association.
We asked Matt what he enjoys about working at William Mattar, and he responded: “I have had the good fortune to work with some extremely talented trial lawyers at this firm and have learned a lot from these colleagues. At the same time, and in a different way, I have learned a lot from our clients – who are often ordinary people thrust into extraordinary circumstances. These people inspire me every day as they work to recover from their personal injuries and, if that is not possible, somehow be made ‘whole.’ I go to work every day to help these people.”
Matt resides in Pittsford with his wife, Ellen, and their three daughters (and two dogs). In his spare time, Matt enjoys spending time with his family, collecting vinyl records, and reading books on history and psychology.
- University at Buffalo, (B.A.), 2010
- SUNY Buffalo, (J.D.), magna cum laude, 2013
- New York State
- United States District Court, WDNY
- Second Circuit Court of Appeals
Professional Associations & Memberships
- New York State Trial Lawyers Association
- Western New York Regional Affiliate
- Monroe County Bar Association
- Serious Injury Threshold Practice in the Fourth Department, Erie Institute of Law, November 2017.
- Domestic Animal Owner Liability in the Fourth Department, Erie Institute of Law, September 2016.
- How to Get Your Social Media, Email and Text Evidence Admitted (and Keep Theirs Out), National Business Institute, March 2017.
- Legal Ethics of Email, National Business Institute, May 2017.
- Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Law – Made Simple, National Business Institute, May 2017.
- Advanced Civil Litigation Skills in New York, Strategically using Motions in Limine, National Business Institute, June 2017.
- A Unique Outlier: Liability of Pet Owners in New York State, 89 N.Y. St. B.A. J. 8 (2017)
Honors and Awards
- New York Super Lawyers® Rising Stars, 2018-2020